Zakyntos ( Zante map)
Zakynthos, the “Flower of the Levant”, is the southernmost of the Ionian Islands. It has always been a cultural centre with a characteristic tradition in architecture and painting. From the climate to the landscape, the island is full of contrasts. Pine-covered mountains, fertile plains and sandy beaches are to be found.
Zakynthos is known for its white wines and other products, while at the same time it is home to two endangered species, the Mediterranean seal Monachus-Monachus and the sea turtle Caretta-Caretta. The turtles, has used southern shores of Zakynthos (Laganas and Kalamaki) to nest and lay their eggs. In the evening female turtles can be seen resting in the shallow waters. Noise and lights can disorientate them and make them uncertain as to where to lay their eggs. Thus there are designated areas of the beaches set aside for the turtles.
Best Zakynthos Sights:
- The Statue of Dionysios Solomos
- The Statue of Foskolos and the columns in memory of "Philiki Etairia"
- The Church of Agios Dionysios and the Church of Agios Nikolaos Kiliomenou
Places to visit:
- The Bochali district around the Castle
- The Cape Schinari and the Blue Cave
- The Laganas Beach, home of Caretta-Caretta seals
Zakynthos has a wide cultural tradition, local songs and dances. Various events take place ion the island, with music festivals and theatrical performances, al year round.
Best Zakynthos beaches:
Laganas, Argassi, Keri, Tsivili, Alikes, Alikanas, Kalamaki, Vasiliko, Mavratzi